“Every child is unique and valued at TCS”
In co-operation with parents, family and whanau, Tahatai Coast School provides quality education for its students. Tahatai Coast School is a fully inclusive school and works very hard to ensure inclusive practices are embedded as part of our school’s curriculum and culture.
Tahatai Coast School provides a wide range of programmes to support the learning needs of those children identified as requiring additional support, differentiated learning programmes or special interventions. To ensure the best possible teaching and learning for these children programmes for students requiring extra learning support are under the direction of the Special Educational Needs Coordinators (SENCO) team. Who we often refer to as the ‘Inclusive Practices Team’.
SENCO team and responsibilities
- Charlotte James
- Learning Support (group learning), coordinates teacher aide timetables, ORS, working with outside support agencies (including accessing relevant funding), overseeing individual education programmes (IEP), providing support and guidance to teachers, parents and students.
- Darren Scott
- Behaviour management, Student mentoring programme, Gifted and Talented programme
- Matthew Skilton
- Behaviour management support, student mentoring programme, support for all funding and employment issues.
- Rowan Barton
- International student programme, ESoL language support programme.
- Kirsten Bell -
- Early intervention, strengthening home and school partnership.
The whole school embraces our philosophy on inclusive education. In co-operation with parents, family and whānau we provide quality educational programmes for children with high special education needs through:
- Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) written twice a year with parents/caregivers
- Specialist one-to-one intervention
- Appropriate adaptation of curriculum content
- Daily special education support in the classroom